The Road Department’s nine (9) employees are responsible for our 53 miles of Borough roadways and the Borough right of ways including: road maintenance and repair, winter plowing and salting, clearing vegetation, ensuring lines of sight, Storm sewer and catch basin maintenance and repairs, leaf collection, storm cleanup, street and regulation sign installation and repair, setting up detours for road closures and Borough events, along with operations of the Borough Compost Facility. Additionally, the Borough mechanic maintains the fleet of Police, Inspector, and Public Works vehicles and heavy equipment.
The Buildings and Grounds Department’s three (3) employees are responsible for routine maintenance and repairs of Borough Hall, the Library, facilities, vegetation and fields at the Polo Grounds, Kiwanis Field, Peter’s Park, Claremont Field, the Rose Bowl, the Pool Complex, Basketball courts and other properties owned by the Borough. Contractors provide additional services at Borough property including grass cutting, lawn maintenance, parking lot snow plowing, sidewalk clearing,
The Sewer Department’s five (5) employees are responsible for maintenance and operation of the wastewater treatment plant adjacent to the Rose Bowl, the 19 miles of sewer mains, 540 manholes, and 6 pumping stations that provide wastewater services to nearly 1,600 residences (approximately 55%) in Bernardsville. Services include on call 24 x 7 service for sewer blockages and other emergencies. Additionally they perform commercial property grease trap inspections.
The Road Department performs the following functions on the 53 miles of Borough streets and roads. Maintenance and repair of Borough streets and roads
- Plowing and salting of roads during the winter
- Clearing road shoulders of vegetation
- Tree removals for site distance at road intersections
- Storm sewer system maintenance and catch basin repair
- Operation of the Borough compost facility
- Maintenance, service and repair of all Borough vehicles and equipment including police vehicles
- Installation and replacement of street signs and regulatory signs
- Preparation for Borough events
- Clean up storm damage
- Set up detours for tree work, road reconstruction, vehicle accidents, etc.
- Sweep streets and roads
- Leaf collection
- On call around the clock for emergencies
- Most employees are Fire or First Aid personal
To report a road, tree or storm sewer problem call 908-766 3000 x 127 or email email@example.com For emergencies outside of M - F 7:00am – 3:30pm hours call the Police Dispatch @ 908-766-0037
The Bernardsville Sewer Department provides services for almost 1,600 residences (approximately 55% of residences), including but not limited to:
- Maintenance and operation of wastewater treatment plant
- Maintenance and operation of sewer collection system consisting of 19 miles of sewer mains, 540 manholes, and 6 pumping stations
- Grease traps inspection of commercial property
- On call around the clock for sewer blockages and other emergencies
- Assist with leaf collection and snow plowing
Note that homeowners are responsible for the sewer laterals from the house to the Borough sewer main in the street.
In the event of a sewer backup:
Please call the Sewer Department @ 908-766-1151 or the Police Dispatch @ 908-766-0037 outside of M - F 6:30am – 3:00pm hours.
The Sewer Department will inspect the town manholes to check for a blocked sewer main and unclog the blockage if it exists. If no blockage exists in the town sewer main, the homeowner is responsible for unclogging the blockage.
Road resurfacing status
Five (5) Year Road Repair Plan
- 2015-2020 Road Repair Schedule by Street
- Alphabetical Listing of Streets
- Listing of Streets By Condition
New Road Moratorium Guidelines
For the Environmental Stormwater Management Ordinances, please refer to the following:
After Hours Contact:
908-766-0037, Ext. 0
Sewer Plant Operator
6:30am - 3:00pm