The Tax Assessor performs complex professional and administrative work, planning,organizing and maintaining the appraisal and assessment of real property in the Borough. Review complaints concerning assessments,plan and organize hearings on reassessments. Conduct residential studies and analysis for annual reassessment on all properties. Assist professional appraisers and consultants with data relative to their work and the Borough. Involvement in legislation effecting assessment procedures, County Board decisions and organizations related to assessment/appraisal practices.
The Tax Assessors Office is also involved in:
- Providing square footage information to appraisers and realtors.
- Assisting homeowners in looking up assessments in the Assessor's Field Book.
- Helping & supporting homeowners during the appeal process when they feel their assessment is to high.
- Handling all calls from concerned new buyers regarding property they are interested in.
- Mailing C-91 forms to all commercial property owners.
Explain to home owner what caused the increase. Most often Tax Rate went up. Other cases both Tax Rate and assessment went up. The explanation to home owner depends what type of information is in the data base regarding their property.
A home owner can appeal their assessment usually from Feb.1st. to May 1st. of the new year. We then provide the explanation of the appeal process and offer our help and support in providing list of sales in their area.
You can find all this information and other matters of public record by searching for Block and Lot, Street Address, or Owner Name at NJ Assessment Records Search.
Monday-Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
P: 908-766-3000, Ext.140, F: 908-766-2401
PT Field Inspector/Assessor
Clerk/Assistant to Assessor