Seasonal Employment 2024
Looking for a summer job that gets you outside and active? Bernardsville Borough Recreation offers full and part-time seasonal positions for adults and young adults alike. Whether you are a professional on a summer hiatus or a first-time job seeker, we would love to hear from you.
Please look over the jobs below and click on each to expand for more details. Consider the availability requirements, eligibility age, and certifications required. Click the Apply Online button to fill out your application now!
Summer Camp 2024 Positions
(M-F, 8:45 am-3:15 pm)
Leads their designated group through various activities throughout the day, and delegates tasks to assistant counselors. Creates an inclusive, safe, and positive environment.
Job Functions: As a head counselor, you will be expected to:
- Lead campers grades K - 6th through crafts, games, pool time, and other activities
- Connect with campers, mediate any disputes, and set a good example for them (i.e. showing respect to others, cleaning up art supplies, etc.)
- Attend to campers' medical needs when necessary
- Report directly to Camp Assistant Director and Camp Director
- Show up to camp each day on time and with a good attitude
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a childcare setting
- Comfort with multi-tasking and making decisions in a leadership position
- Experience with problem-solving in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Strong communication, written, and public speaking skills
- Organized and consistent
- Experience working in summer camps or an education setting
- Reliable and Punctual
- CPR/First Aid preferred
Important: Availability Requirements for all Camp positions
- Summer camp employees MUST be available June 24th through August 16th. The only exceptions made will be for college orientations, illness, or family emergencies.
- All employees MUST attend camp training, camp open house, and family fun day.
Pool 2024 Open Positions
Responsible for carrying out all duties pertaining to the management of the Bernardsville Municipal Pool under the direction of the Recreation Director in accordance with the safety and procedure policies of the Bernardsville Recreation Committee. The manager’s hours shall consist of a minimum of five days and 36+ hours a week. The manager is required to be present at least half of the weekends during the pool season.
The manager shall operate the pool within the approved budget and not change any item without the consent of the Recreation Director and the Recreation Committee. The manager shall recommend any improvements in the procedures for the maintenance and daily operation of the pool via the Director of Recreation for the Recreation Committee’s review. Moreover, the pool manager shall be concerned with the general success of the pool, the efficiency of pool operation, the cohesiveness of the staff, the promotion of the Learn to Swim programs, competitive swimming programs, and the safety and enjoyment of the pool members.
In general, the Pool Manager should be concerned with the safety of the pool members and staff. The manager is responsible for the safe operation of the pool and the pool grounds, direct the activities of all pool staff members, and enforces the pool rules and regulations set by the Recreation Committee. Assures that specific duties of subordinates are performed satisfactorily in accordance with the job descriptions and schedule the job duties of all Pool Staff members. The manager will train the senior staff members in general pool operation, including filtration, chlorination, maintenance, and pool policy. long-term upkeep and maintenance of the whole pool facility, including the filtration system, pool grounds, bath/locker rooms, and office.
- Be responsible for general water care through the operation and preventative maintenance of filtration and chlorination systems.
- Maintains daily records of chlorine and pH readings, and pool backwashing in all three pools.
- Inspect the pool facilities and maintain a safe and clean pool environment. Assign maintenance duties to staff, i.e. pool vacuuming, emptying skimmers, sweeping pool deck, cleaning lounge chairs, cleaning picnic area, emptying trash, cleaning/disinfecting bathrooms, etc...
- Report any equipment, filter, electrical, and alarm system malfunctions to the Director of Recreation and take appropriate action(s) to correct those malfunctions after discussing them with the Director of Recreation.
- Inventories, orders, and effectively maintains all supplies needed for the safe operation of the pool (all supplies must be approved by the Recreation Director).
- Responsible for all pool personnel; i.e. disciplinary action
- Schedule and submit time sheets for all staff members. Timesheets are to be turned in by 9:00 AM Monday after the manager reviews their accuracy, on the bi-weekly pay schedule.
- Hold staff orientation to explain procedures, policy, operations, and safety prior to opening day.
- Help in the validation of membership.
- Aid in the promotion and execution of all social functions.
- Be accountable for the accuracy of monies turned in daily to the pool from guest fees and pool parties.
- Report any personnel or membership problems immediately to the Recreation Director.
- Use of professional judgment in the closing of facility when unsafe or unnecessary to remain open.
- Report any accidents which warrant more than simple first aid and file a written report with the Recreation Committee via the office.
- Establish procedures with the support of the local emergency response groups, (Fire Companies, Rescue Squads, Police Departments), in staging mock emergencies to review the efficiency of those procedures. Evaluate those procedures and institute any corrections or changes that are necessary.
- Other duties as directed by the Director of Recreation.
If you're selected for an interview, a link will be sent to you to select your interview date and time. Please note that interviews will not likely begin for some positions until late March or early April. All applicants must be the age of 14+ at the start of employment. Please read over all job descriptions before applying.