The Public Works Department consists of the Road Department and the Sewer Department.
Garbage disposal is the responsibility of the resident and they must contract with a private waste hauler for pickup.
The Mayor and Council of the Borough of Bernardsville suspended the Borough's Spring Curbside Garbage Pickup in 2010. Economic conditions and budget constraints led to this decision by the governing body. Residents are encouraged to contact their private waste hauler to arrange for disposal of bulk waste.
Recycling for the Borough is handled by Somerset County.
For water service inquiries contact NJ American Water Company at 1-800-652-6987 (1-800-NJ AM WTR): For customers whose accounts begin with 18: 1-800-272-1325: For customers whose accounts begin 52, 53, 54, 55: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report a Street Light out go to the First Energy website.
For further information regarding seasonal items, general information, and policies, please refer to:
- Compost Facility Information
- Free Household Clean-Up Day
- Leaf Collection: Residential
- Mailbox Replacement Policy
- Snow Plowing Regulations for Driveways
- Snow Plowing/Shoveling Helpful Information
The Bernardsville Road Department has many responsibilities and provides a number of services, including but not limited to the following:
- Maintenance and repair of 53 miles of Borough streets and roads
- Plowing and salting of roads during the winter
- Clearing road shoulders of vegetation
- Tree removals for site distance at road intersections
- Storm sewer system maintenance and catch basin repair
- Operation of the Borough compost facility
- Maintenance of Borough buildings and grounds
- Maintenance, service and repair of all Borough vehicles and equipment including police vehicles
- Installation and replacement of street signs and regulatory signs
- Preparation for Borough events
- Clean up storm damage
- Set up detours for tree work, road reconstruction, vehicle accidents, etc.
- Sweep streets and roads
- Leaf collection
- On call around the clock for emergencies, including sewer problems
- Most employees are Fire or First Aid personal
To find out who maintains the roads in the Borough, please refer to the Road List.
Five (5) Year Road Repair Plan
- 2015-2020 Road Repair Schedule by Street
- Alphabetical Listing of Streets
- Listing of Streets By Condition
- Letter from Public Works Committee Regarding Five (5) Year Road Repair Plan
New Road Moratorium Guidelines
The Bernardsville Sewer Department has many responsibilities and provides a number of services, including but not limited to the following:
- Maintenance and operation of wastewater treatment plant
- Maintenance and operation of sewer collection system consisting of 19 miles of sewer main, 540 manholes, and 6 pumping stations
- Grease traps inspection of commercial property
- On call around the clock for sewer blockages and other emergencies
- Assist with leaf collection and snow plowing
The homeowner is responsible for the sewer laterals from the house to the Borough sewer main.
In the event of a sewer backup, please call the Sewer Department @ 908-766-1151 or the Police Dispatch @ 908-766-0037. The Sewer Department will inspect the town manholes to check for a blocked sewer main and unclog the blockage if it exists. If no blockage exists in the town sewer main, the homeowner is responsible for unclogging the blockage.